About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Conflict in This Present Age


 How often have I failed to find faithfulness, where I thought I possessed it. How many times I have found it where I least expected.
Who is the man who is able to keep himself so warily and circumspectly as not sometimes to come into some snare of perplexity? But he who trusteth in Thee, O Lord, and seeketh Thee with an unfeigned heart, doth not so easily slip. And if he fall into any tribulation, howsoever he may be entangled, yet very quickly he shall be delivered through Thee, or by Thee shall be comforted, because Thou wilt not forsake him that trusteth in Thee unto the end.
Oh, how good and peacemaking a thing it is to be silent concerning others, and not carelessly to believe all reports, nor to hand them on further; how good also to lay one's self open to few, to seek ever to have Thee as the beholder of the heart.  (Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ, Chapter 55)
In dealing with conflict, I am encouraged to know that failing to find faithfulness in other people is not just a current thing, since Thomas a Kempis was writing about it in the 12th century.  Also, I am encouraged to know that faithfulness does come up in a number of places where I least expect it.  This shows me that such faithfulness is not a consistent practice in people's lives, but a common one built into the creation.  It explains why I can trust God to show me faithfulness and kindness, often through unexpected persons, while not being able to rely on any one person in particular for complete faithfulness.



Peace and rest cannot be expected to last a long time anywhere in this current age.  This goes doubly in relationships.  I often run into some "snare of perplexity," not matter how hard I may try to avoid it.  This is why a Kempis recommends not seeking peace and rest as much as trust in God and his comfort.  Trying to find peace in this world leads to anger and depression.  Rather, I find hope in knowing that God will quickly save or quickly comfort me in the face of all trials.

Silence leads to much peace with other people.  Often I am tempted to "share" and "talk things out" when silence would serve best.  In communication, no one mode answers every need, but silence is seldom used for anything but resentment ("the silent treatment").  Silence so often protects me from hurting other people through harsh or slanderous words.  Silence also protects me from exercising pride and bitterness which hurt myself.  The helplessness of silence can move me to pray and trust in God more when I am concerned for the good of God, others, and myself.  Often true: "Much dreaming and many words are meaningless; therefore stand in awe of God."  (Ecclesiastes 5:7)

Father, conflict is a regular part of this present age.  I spend time fuming about it and trying so hard to avoid it.  Let me instead walk hand in hand with you, knowing you alone can deliver me from trouble and only you can truly comfort my aching heart.  Lead me to a few who I can trust and let me lead others to the only one they can truly trust.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment