About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Naked Guest

"Two men went up to the temple to pray: one a Pharisee, the other a tax collector."  (Luke 18:10)

htrccsherman.org
The house of God is open.
The meal is spread out.
The conversation is slow.
The table is low.

When I enter this house
          I never hear,
          "What are you doing here?"
          They call my name,
          but will I answer?
          Do I know it?

The greatest weapon of pride
       that keeps me from tabling
                             with the Lord
                             are the words,
                             "I just don't have time for that."

The doorway to the house
       is the cross.
To enter, in confession,
       all clothes are stripped,
       all possessions dropped.
       Naked I come,
       but I arrive at the table
       dressed in glory.

At any other home,
     where people gather alone,
     this naked visitor,
     this empty traveler
     is unwelcome and unexpected.
At the house of God,
     though he worries about his welcome,
     he is seen a long way off.
And though his brother will not welcome him,
     he is clothed and celebrated.
His brother receives warm welcomes everywhere
     and he thinks he deserves them.
But this naked guest
      is only welcomed by God
                 and his company.

The naked guest finds his home
       in a church that is
          a place of worship and
          a house of prayer.
       Here is a doorway to fellowship with God.
His brother will find his home
      in a church that is
         a human gathering,
         a place of religion.
      Here is a warm welcome for all pride and false confidence.

Without confession, I will not be recognized by God.
             He knows my true self, my right name.
             Do I know?  Will I answer?
             Jesus says "I never knew you" to this pretend self.
             Jesus says "Come to me" to a contrite heart, a broken spirit.
             As a naked guest, let me come
                                         and cling to the cross!
                                         Pretend selves die
                                         and false confidence falters
                                         and all is left behind
                                                for a chair
                                                        at the table of the Trinity.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this soul poem! I think it is the most beautiful one you've ever written.

    ReplyDelete