About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Small Steps into Discipleship to Christ: God's Love Expressed

Jesus is the Answer.  Who is this "only begotten Son" of God?  What has God given to me in his love?

God gave his Son primarily for three reasons.  The first is so that I might become like him.  Jesus put flesh and bones to the commandments of God.  He came as the Teacher.  His words are Spirit and life.  (John 6)  Honestly learned and practiced, they bring me into a new way of living, called eternal.  It begins, but has no end.  It is continual existence with God, who is eternal.  It is from age to age, outlasting even the known universe itself.

Second, God gave his Son so that I might be redeemed.  Jesus is the sacrifice necessary to pay for my sins.  He is the only effective sacrifice.  I offered myself to sin as a slave and could not hope to be free to come to God without Jesus.  He came as the Savior.  He also came as my Friend.  Before he was my Savior he was my Friend, because Jesus is the friend of sinners.  He befriended me and when the time came he redeemed me, he bought me back from my sin by paying the penalty I had earned.  My sin meant suffering and death.  He took them upon himself.

Third, God gave his Son so that my world might be restored.  Jesus is victorious over sin, Satan, and death.  The old order of things is passing away now.  No longer is sin central to life.  No longer does Satan hold sway over my mind and my body.  No longer is death the inevitable ruler of this world.  Jesus is Lord through his death and  resurrection.  He overcomes everything that opposes light and life in this world.  This age continues to limp along, but is coming to an end.  Jesus has begun that end.

God gave me Jesus for my redemption.  I am brought back through his friendship.  I am bought back through his saving grace.  God gave me Jesus as the perfect person.  He teaches me to be like him.  God gave me Jesus so my life and my world would be recovered and restored.  He is Lord of all things and will bring them all into submission through the power of his grace and mercy.  Friend.  Savior.  Teacher.  Lord.  This is my Jesus.

Which of these aspects of Christ do you find most easy to receive?  Friend?  Savior?  Teacher?  Lord?  Which is the hardest?  What makes it difficult to receive Jesus this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment