About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Friday, November 21, 2014

Eternal Life: One Vine

One Vine.
One garden.
One Gardner.

Jesus tells us how it is
more than what we should do.

One True Vine.
The universe is just the garden
made by the Gardner
to house the Vine.

Reality unfolds.
We are branches
connected to the True Vine
or not.

Jesus's words go out
pruning some branches
for fruition,
cutting others off.

How so?

For some, his teaching draws them
into friendship,
into familial intimacy,
into joyful obedience,
bringing the sap of life.

For others, just hearing about him
makes them harder,
withered,
dry,
bringing resentment
against him
and those who follow him.

The Gardner
prunes back the branches
to produce the fruit
of joyful obedience.

Without joy
obedience is mean
hypocrisy.
Without obedience
joy is empty
sentiment.

We are the branches,
connected to Christ
in friendship
more than servitude.
Without such friendship
there can be no fruit,
no joyful obedience.

The Father's words
ring true in him,
showing us what
he has meant to say
all along:
"I love my Son.
He loves me.
Join our family."

This family,
these intimate friends,
gather around the vine,
connected
through their connection,
loving
as they are loved.
All life
and resources
and growth
coming from the Vine
planted by the Gardner.

One True Vine.
One Gardner.
One garden.

(Mediation on John 15)



No comments:

Post a Comment