About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Statement of Faith


I have been thinking about creeds, statements of faith and such. I mainly understand them to be like gates that allow certain people in and keep certain people out. Well and good. We are to be like-minded and remember that there are wolves in sheep's clothing out there.

However, I began wondering if I might use such as a title page rather than a gate - something that invites people into the faith and inspires them, rather than something to try to keep certain people out. Could a statement of faith be used to help myself and others understand and explain what is most important to ourselves rather than as a way to keep unwanted ideas out of our group? I wanted to ask the question, "What do I want to have first and foremost in my mind as far as my faith is concerned?" And as a necessary derivative question, "What do I want people to know about my faith above all else?"

The main question that followers of Jesus have to wrestle with is, "What is a disciple? What does a disciple know, do, and hope to become?" I like the basic answer to this question in The Connecting Church by Frazee. I would phrase it this way:

As a disciple of Jesus, I obey his commands: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself."

I like this because above all else, a believer is one who follows Jesus. One who follows Jesus obeys his commands. Jesus himself identifies these commands as the most important and covering the whole of scripture.

Although such a statement leaves a lot unanswered, it supplies those who do follow Christ with a working definition of what it means to be a disciple. It lays a groundwork on which the ideas, practices, and virtues of being a follower of Jesus can be laid. In this sense, I see it as complete.

Statements that don't work well are ones that are too long to use effectively in everyday living or are ones that focus too closely on a particular "soap box" so that a properly filled-out faith cannot be built on top of them. Ancient creeds are helpful for capturing many of these basics, but often they are written to address heresies in a particular language that people were using at that time for discussion and argument.

Again, I wanted to avoid getting drawn into the idea of a statement of faith as a gate. I hoped to use it as a step-stool so I can reach some of the highest ideals of my faith without trying to climb the shelves of arguments and discussions present in all such endeavors.

Such a statement of faith may not be what everyone would choose, but it is certainly not heretical. The main problem would be that it is simplistic. I would say it is simplistic if I regard it as complete in and of itself. Instead I hoped it would be merely simple, but profound enough to touch on most if not all aspects of faith at least indirectly, and direct enough to use as a constant reminder of what a life of discipleship is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment