About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Self-Denial as a Means to Humility

Today the Lord gave me a plan for self-denial.  I have been long aware of its necessity, but have not seen its beauty.  I have known it is right, but have not been so deeply aware of its goodness.
Except a man denies himself, he cannot be My disciple. Self is the whole evil of fallen nature; self-denial is our capacity of being saved; humility is our saviour ... Self is the root, the branches, the tree, of all the evil of our fallen state. All the evils of fallen angels and men have their birth in the pride of self. On the other hand, all the virtues of the heavenly life are the virtues of humility. (Andrew Murray, Humility)
 Self-denial leads to humility, the very heart of Jesus.
In this view it is of inconceivable importance that we should have right thoughts of what Christ is, of what really constitutes Him the Christ, and specially of what may be counted His chief characteristic, the root and essence of all His character as our Redeemer.There can be but one answer: it is His humility. What is the incarnation but His heavenly humility, His emptying Himself and becoming man? What is His life on earth but humility; His taking the form of a servant? And what is His atonement but humility? "He humbled himself and became obedient to death."(ibid)
With the humility of Jesus as the vision, self-denial becomes the intention.  The means of self-denial are like those of dealing with anger.  It is natural to be angry, but anger turns to sin when I harbor it and nurture it.  Similarly, desires are natural and necessary, but become sin when I harbor them and nurture them.

What I like and dislike harbors much of my thoughts and feelings.  Such desires should come and I need to let them go.  What is good should occupy my mind over what I want.  With the right vision and intention, the means to let go of my desires quickly could become habitual.

Lord, this gives me hope.  You are showing me the joy of self-denial already in how I perceive and accept other people.  Give me grace to grow into humility like Jesus'.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment