About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Immersion into the Trinity


The Trinity is a concept about God.  No doubt it falls short of capturing who God is.  As honored and true as it might be, I must never forget that it cannot capture the fullness of God nor set boundaries around him.  Words and ideas fail to hold God.

With that said, the Trinity is a concept of genius.  As a tool for plumbing the depths of God, it is powerful and compelling.  It is simple and yet profound.  It captures many truths in Scripture and brings them together into an idea of just how personal God is. 
It is always the same God, but the ‘person’ or the ‘face’ or ‘voice’ by which we receive the revelation varies.  But here’s the thing: every part of the revelation, every aspect, every form is personal – God is relational at the core – and so whatever is said, whatever is revealed, whatever is received is also personal and relational.  (Eugene Peterson, Eat This Book, p.27)
The Trinity is a revelation of how intimate God is with us.  It is not close enough to call him Father.  It is not dear enough to know the Son alone.  It is not intimate enough to live with the Spirit.  The intimacy of God spans the universe and reaches into its most remote corners; the Father is above, beyond, and fills all things.  The friendship of God walks with me and talks with me and teaches me as a human being; the Son is my brother, my friend, and my teacher.  God speaks through my thoughts and feelings and through the voices of other people moved in their minds and empowered in their hearts; the Spirit blows all around me and through my very being.  God is above me.  God is beside me.  God is within me.  Trinity.

No wonder I am baptized into this faith.  Baptism is not about water, but about immersion.  I am baptized into the reality of the Trinity.  Baptism is not a once and for all occasion, but a continuing reality that I live in and share with others: immersion in the Trinity.  I am brought under this God.  I and buried with this God.  I am filled with life from this God.  Everything in me is soaked with God.  The symbol of baptism is like a wedding to a marriage.  It is special.  It is a beginning.  It is a promise.  It is not the reality, though.

Trinity also captures the fact that God has life without me.  He is relational without my contribution.  Within himself, he is family and community.  God is not lonely.  God is full.  God is life.  God is love.  Trinity shows that what he brings is a gift.  He does not need me is the sense that I need him or other people.  It cannot be said “It is not good for God to be alone” like the Bible says about people.  He is enough for himself and complete in himself.

But God does need me in his love.  Because he loves so deeply, so intimately, and so completely, he does not want to live without me.  For me to love him, he must allow that I might not love him.  Trinity shows that as personal and close as God is to me, he is different from me.  I can choose to be a part of his reality or choose another.

Lord, may I live a baptized life, one immersed in your intimate love.  May I find ways to relate with you as Trinity, not neglecting your pervasive presence.  Fill my life like a cup to overflowing.  Amen.

The concept of Trinity is not a remote theological term intended merely for apologetics and other religious talk.  Eugene Peterson puts it well.
We must not, even for a moment, suppose that Trinity is something thought up by theologians to deal with advanced mysteries quite remote for the daily work of people like us who have babies and to work for a living.  No it was the work of Christians like us (some of them maybe a little smarter than we are!) learning and teaching each other to read their Bibles as fully and attentively and personally and responsively as they were able.  They wanted to read in such a way their lives became congruent with the text.  (Ibid,  p.28)

No comments:

Post a Comment