About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Thursday, May 10, 2012

How Sheep, Snakes, and Doves Share Their Faith

 I am sending you out like sheep among wolves.Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.  (Matthew 10:16)
Jesus speaks these enigmatic words after he has been telling his disciples how to share the good news of the kingdom of God.  The warning is well taken and fairly obvious.  Sheep among wolves need to watchful and careful, but perhaps also vulnerable and dependent.  Jesus is not throwing me to the wolves, but pointing out that rather than being fierce and ravenous in my dealings with others, I should be dependent on God and self-sacrificing for others.

What is the wisdom of a snake?  Snakes don't chase things.  "The wisdom of the serpent is to wait until someone comes to them," says Dallas Willard.  The wisdom of the snake is in its timing.  Developing this sort of wisdom only comes with prayer, awareness, patience, and practice.  In reaching out to people with good news or even good deeds, timing is everything.  Sometimes I hear about that wisdom in terms like "divine appointments" or "a God thing."  I know I have to be careful not to try to manufacture such timing.  I end up being like Moses who tried to free his people by killing an Egyptian overseer rather than waiting on God's deliverance.  Win a battle, lose a war.

What is the innocence of a dove?  A dove is harmless.  It does not deserve indictment because it does not do anything.  (Although Dawn, my wife, does not think they are so harmless because their constant "cooing" drives her crazy. . . especially in the morning.)  When a dove comes, it comes with gentleness and harmlessness.  Sharing needs to be this way.  Instead of pushing, there is invitation.  Instead of accusing, their is sympathy and empathy.  Instead of demands, there are promises.

Because I fear people, I find that I reverse the confuse the roles of these creatures in sharing my faith in word or deed.  I find that I become as flighty and fearful as a dove.  Afraid of rejection or abuse, I run from opportunities to share and care.  I find that I am as venomous as a snake.  Afraid of rejection or abuse, I make my words sting so that I can safely say I shared, but they just didn't accept God's invitation.  They run and I feel I'm "off the hook."

Lord, what if I waited for people to come to me?  I sometimes feel it would never happen.  Forgive me for my inattention.  What if I did not make my words "bite?"  I sometimes feel I would never be listened to.  Forgive me for my lack of trust in you and your word.  Show me how to wait with anticipation and share without demand.  That is how you treat me so often, Father.  Thank you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment