About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Listening to God

Listening to God is not really the same way twice, which makes listening for me real work.  Yet, there are consistencies in my relationship with God.  Often it is more a matter of letting go of something than doing something.

A couple of nights ago my daughter Sami was tired and worried and said that God hadn't spoken to her in "forever."  But she had told recently of something that God had said that spoke to her powerfully and in a way that I thought fit her current troubles well.

Maybe she didn't want to hear what God was saying.  Also possible is that she heard and thought she understood what he had  said a week ago, but his word to her needed to be remembered and lived out to really be heard.

So one of the things that can help in listening is writing things down and reviewing them.  A journal or just a sticky note with something God has said that impresses or confuses me can really help me to hear God.  Sometimes the "daily bread" of what God gives supplies my needs for days to come if I am not too eager to "move on" or gain "greater insights."

It reminds me of Psalm 131:

My heart is not proud, LORD, 
  my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters 
  or things too wonderful for me. 
But I have calmed and quieted myself, 
  I am like a weaned child with its mother; 
  like a weaned child I am content.

Israel, put your hope in the LORD 
  both now and forevermore.

Lord, let me not go on before I have received your word.  Let me learn how to remember, wait, and trust.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment