About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Friday, January 4, 2013

Servant of the Word

Today I'm sick, but not so much that I can't read or write.  I spent part of this morning trying to prepare for a time of scripture study.  I read Sacred Reading by Michael Casey over the holiday.  He mentioned reverence as a precursor to scriptural meditation.  I thought I would find some ways to develop reverence for the Bible.

I began by looking for a Bible to read out of.  Many of my copies have writing in them, which I was worried might be distracting.  Also the study Bibles have notes and numbers and letters all over the place which can be distracting as well.  I was not able to find anything just right, but I found that removing the Bible from its protective cover with all the pockets and pens helped.  I could hold it more easily.

As I looked in our little storage room outside (brrrr), I discovered that many of the books I have collected over the years have been study helps and commentaries on the Bible.  Somehow when I saw them, they did not seem as inviting as I looked for help with reverence.  So many words.  And so many of them only partially read.  Somehow I felt they were not what I was looking for.

So I took my Bible out of its jacket and held it up and offered a prayer.

The law of the Lord is perfect
reviving the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy
making wise the simple
The precepts of the Lord are right
giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant
giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is pure
enduring forever.
The ordinances of the Lord are sure
and altogether righteous.
They are more precious than gold,
sweeter than honey from the comb.
By them is your servant warned,
and in keeping them there is great reward.
(From Psalm 19)

A quiet rested on me.  I began to read slowly and reflectively from Colossians.  And so I found 1:23: "This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant."  I was moved by the text.  I saw something of the heart that Paul had as he served the church, even people he had never seen.  He was a servant of the word of truth, the gospel.

I saw now why so much of my learning seemed to miss the mark as I studied the Bible.  I came to master the Bible.  Reverence asked me to become a servant of the Bible.  I have so many things I want to tell people from the Bible, but how often have I really handled it well?  I wanted so much to speak as one who knows, one who has mastered the Bible.  I found that some people were impressed, but rarely changed.

I had wonder and awe, but they were quickly submerged in my desire to argue a point or address a problem.  I felt the dis junction, but I could never quite put my finger on how to deal with it.  Paul was joyful in these Colossians and how they received this gospel word he served for Jesus' sake.  Like a waiter serving a grand meal, he served the gospel to this church.  He removed whatever obstacles he could so they could really dine upon it.

I feel that this journey may free me to study, learn, and even teach in an entirely different way.  Reverence before the Bible is just another expression of submission to the Lord.

Lord, please make me like your servant, Paul, who served you, your gospel, your word, and your people.  Let reverence put reins on my pride and enable me to be a better student of your Word and of Jesus.  Save me from mock reverence and arrogance as I approach your Holy Scripture.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment