About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Thursday, August 12, 2010

What Kind of Worshipers God Seeks

The Samaritan women was hostile and tried to avoid Jesus throughout their whole conversation, I think. He just kept at it. I guess, to her credit, she actually stayed and didn't just run off.

Also, I love Jesus' irony in saying that the woman made a "true" statement when she said she had no husband. She was being evasive to say the least. Her current status certainly made her want to avoid even coming to the well for water. But Jesus goes on to say that God is seeking worshipers who will worship him "in truth" in contrast to the "truth" the Samaritan woman gave him.

I don't think he was trying to be mean and just expose her to cut her down. I think he was showing that what God desires is honesty and sincerity in worship rather than trying to pretend we are better than we are. True worshipers of God know he is always present ("in spirit") and really knows what we are going through ("in truth"). False worshipers forget that God is really present and that he knows (or cares) what we are going through.

Also, worshipers are found by God. They do not find him. My best hope is to be one that God seeks. Then he will find me. The Samaritan woman is primary example of this. Jesus found her. He dug through her hostility, guilt, and excuses to find a true worshiper. As his disciple, I want to do the same.

1 comment: