About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Friday, May 10, 2013

Seen and Heard

Do not be like the hypocrites.
They are missing out.
               They pray to be seen by people
               rather than by their unseen Father.
               Filled with the recognition they seek,
               they miss the eyes of the Beloved One.
teatime-kiddies
He goes unseen,
              hidden from the view of pride,
              invisible to the self-absorbed.
              He sees and is seen by
              those who close and lock the door
              to be alone with him.

Father, may I be seen by you,
              may your eyes light up my soul,
              may your gaze fill me.

“I see you,” he says.  “I see you.”

Do not be like those who don’t know God,
                         trying to move him with words
                         when he is already moved on their behalf,
                         covering all their bases
                         when only one thing is necessary,
                                           sitting at his feet.

bible-truth.org
He waits in silence
               in silence he is heard.
               When I am drowned by many words,
               silence is the ark that stays afloat
               and makes room for his re-creating word,
                                                   his call for deliverance.

Father, close my mouth and ears
              as you did the door of the ark.
              May the flood of noise
              always be outside our place.

“I hear you,” he says.  “I hear you.”

I am seen.
I am heard.
         What else would a father do?
             The heavens are open to me.
        I need not make a name for myself,
             only call out yours.
        I do not have to make things happen;
             I need only be remade.
        Each day you care for me
             as one who knows what I need before I ask.
        As long as people owe me recognition,
             I am collecting.
        Allow me to let it all go
             so I am free to seek your recognition.
        There are many things that shine,
                         many things that call,
             but only you are worth seeing and hearing
                         in everything.
I am seen.
I am heard.
I am free.

( A meditation on Matthew 6:5-17 for my fellow Embers)

No comments:

Post a Comment