About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Friday, March 29, 2013

Faith in Jesus

Jesus's mealtime conversation during his last supper included some bitter news for his disciples.  "Where I am going, you cannot come."  (John 13:33)  The one they thought would set up shop on earth as a new Davidic king in Israel was breaking up camp and leaving.  He told them, "You know the way to the place where I am going." (14:4)

Thomas, the famous doubter, blurted out, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" (v. 5)

In answer Jesus gave his famous proclamation: "I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.  If you really knew me, you would know the Father as well.  From now on, you do know him and have seen him."  (vv. 6-7)

Philip said in his confusion what many cynical skeptics would say now, "Show us the Father and that will be enough for us."  (v. 8)

Now Jesus expands.  Philip does not take Jesus explanation in verse 7 at face value.  He wants more.  Fortunately Jesus doesn't just slap him and say, "Believe more!"  He explained to Philip and us how we can come to see the Father.

His questions to Philip were biting, however.  "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? . . .  How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?  Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me?"  (vv. 9, 10)  He explained that Philip doesn't really know him.  Unfortunately, I think we don't do a lot better than Philip.

stmatthewsjc
Jesus uses three expressions to explain his relationship with the Father.  "Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father."  (v. 9)  Jesus is the face of God.  "I am in the Father and the Father is in me."  (v. 10)  Jesus shares a life, an existence with God.  "The words I say to you are not just my own.  Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing the work."  (v. 10)  Jesus has the teaching of God.

This is the foundation of our faith.  "Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me."  On this everything rests.  This is not merely part of an understanding about Trinitarian belief, it is about the very nature of God.  Jesus was God-in-the-flesh (God incarnate) or he wasn't.  What Jesus said, what he did, and how he was were all as God would (and did) do as a person.

So what's the big deal?  It's the difference between Jesus healing and helping as a nice guy or Jesus healing and helping as the expression of what God did, does, and always will do.  It's the difference between Jesus having some nice or helpful words and Jesus speaking words that are life, truth, and the very bread of human existence.  It's the difference between Jesus being a pitiful martyr or Jesus drawing the whole world to himself as a deliverer from death and evil, a savior from the corruption of sin, and the ultimate example of where each person must go to find God.

Disbelief and skepticism about this kind of trust and belief in Jesus are the water we swim in.  But, what if the face of Jesus is the face of God?  How might we feel toward him?  How might we relate to him?

What if Jesus shared a life with God when he was on earth?  Could we imagine working side-by-side with God, so that we might say, "It is [Jesus], living in me, doing the work"?  How might we walk through our days?  How might we understand our purpose?

What if Jesus had the teaching of God?  Perhaps he might have know just what we needed to hear to live the life God would love and that we would love as well?  Perhaps each of his words as present in the created order and in the Bible would bring life, love, peace, and joy?  Might he be the Master Teacher of all time?

Although lack of faith may be most noticeable through a lack of confidence, its source comes more from lack of knowledge.  Understanding and accepting God's nature will bring about confidence.  Jesus expanded his teaching to Philip because Philip lacked understanding.  Where Philip's (and our) understanding fail, he gives grace and power to grasp what we need to know.  Faith stretches out beyond knowledge, but also pulls knowledge along.  Greater faith yields greater knowledge and, to some degree, greater knowledge yields greater faith.

As I live in faith and trust of God, I learn more about him.  As I learn more about God and from God, I find faith easier to exercise.  Jesus explains to Philip on this principle, I believe.  In the end, it challenges me to think a bit harder about what I believe and what I don't believe and what Jesus taught me to believe most of all.  I find that from faith informed by knowledge, confidence comes.

Lord, let me see your face.  Let me see the life you want me to live.  Let me come to know your teaching more deeply.  Let me do this in your name, by faith in you informed by knowing you, and byu loving you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment