About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Jesus Withdrew

"Jesus withdrew."  (Mark 2:7-12)  Perhaps it's not right to leave that quote hanging like that.  Perhaps I'm going too far.  I find great hope in this: Jesus withdrew.

The Pharisees hammered him with, "Why does this fellow talk like that?  He's blaspheming! . . .  Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners? . . .  How is it that John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but yours are not? . . .  Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?"  (vv. 7, 16, 18, 24)  Their questions were meant to accuse and eventually Jesus "looked at them in anger, . . . deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts."  (3:5)  The kingdom of God had made it great appearance through him and all they could worry about were their rules and positions!  Even in the midst of such a great showing of power, he showed his love.  Jesus withdrew.

Was he scared?  Not likely.  Maybe he was scared for those who plotted against his life.  Maybe he was giving them a break.  Maybe he'd challenged them enough for one day.  Maybe he hid from them so they could hide from him.  Jesus withdrew.

thirdheaventraveler
My heart leaps at another thought, though.  "Jesus withdrew with his disciples."  The thought of a Savior who saved himself by going to his God and his Father gives me ease.  The thought of a Teacher who would seek to teach all people by teaching a few gives me hope.  The thought of a Lord who was not driven by his greatness, but showed his greatness by leading his disciples into rest gives me peace.  The thought of a Friend who wanted to be near those he knew and loved to show what friendship he could have with everyone disperses my loneliness.  Jesus withdrew.

Such a man is for me.  Funny that he never had to gather a crowd, but drew all people to himself.  His healings and exorcisms were hidden gifts rather than publicity stunts.  It was almost like he never wanted to draw a crowd, but he had compassion on them all.  I can see it in these words: Jesus withdrew.

Lord, take me with you.  Let me withdraw as well as walk among the crowds, but let me be your disciple.  Call me to you.  Where you go, let me come.  I need only be with you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment