About Me

My photo
I long to see Christ formed in me and in those around me. Spiritual formation is my passion. My training was under Dallas Willard at the Renovare Spiritual Formation Institute. One of my regular prayers is this: "This day be within and without me, lowly and meek, yet all powerful. Be in the heart of each to whom I speak, and in the mouth of each who speaks unto me."

Other Interests

Friday, March 8, 2013

The New for the New

WHAT'S NEW?
No, he pour new wine into new wine skins.  (Mark 2:22)
 "New" makes its appearance on labels of products as "new and improved" or "new look."  It also shows up as "brand new" and "as good as new" in the area of resale.  Unfortunately, this sort of marketing is not isolated to the sale of candy or used bicycles.  This concept of "new" has crept into our spiritual lives as individuals and communities.

Such newness follows our worship of human progress and technology.  Last year's computer is not as good as this years model.  The latest fashions are always better than the ones of last year or the last decade.  Even the nostalgic appeal to "classic" or "original" is based on having greater choices and variety - something new all the time.

It's not all bad, but it has little to do with the new wine that Jesus wants to give to us.  Jesus wants to fulfill rather than replace.  What is old cannot hold the new, but what is old points to what is new and lays the ground for it.  The new wine is Jesus's new teaching, which is not confined to a book, but lives and moves in and through and with us.

This new wine is new because it is constantly growing.  It is vital.  It is living.  Jesus's teaching continues and finds life through the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of truth, who will remind us of everything Jesus said and lead us into truth.  Such a new living wine cannot be contained by the same containers; they give out and burst eventually.  No, he pours new wine into new wine skins.

Jesus's disciples are the new wine skins.  They are the ones made new through a living, conversational relationship with Jesus and his Father through the Holy Spirit.  Their lives make more and more room for God rather than shrinking and hardening by trusting in the correct professed beliefs or in the right good actions or in the best informed community.  Beliefs and actions and community are important, but  they cannot hold the new wine.  Only a discipleship of interactive love with Jesus can hold this new wine.

THE OTHER WINE SKINS

Jesus warns against two alternatives to his teaching and Spirit later in Mark (8:15).  He tells his disciples to watch out for the "yeast" or the teaching of the Pharisee and of Herod.  Pharisees taught about a life of service to God, full of deeds good in themselves and under the protection of the Jewish religious institution.  Self-righteousness was their trademark.  Hypocrisy was the outcome.  A life devoted to their teaching was one where they found themselves doing everything so that others would see.  To them Jesus said, "Clean the inside of the dish and the outside will come clean as well."

The teaching of Herod was one that accommodated to the world they lived in.  He was careful to stay on good terms with those around him, especially important people, like rulers.  His life stood in opposition to what was moral and right, but he tried to buy support through building temples for the religious people.  Unrighteousness was his trademark.  Friendship with the world was the outcome.  Such teaching resulted being darkened in the mind and cut off from the life of God.

Self-righteousness and unrighteousness seem to promise "new wine."  One with the spiritual fads, good deeds, or orthodox practice, the other with new pleasures and personal "freedom."  Neither delivers.  Communities that thrive on such teaching and practices reap the same benefits: falsehood and emptiness.

utusanpenasyamimi.blogspot.com
I am too easily swayed by these paths, especially self-righteousness.  Becoming a new wine skin seems so much harder until I see or experience the fruits of the other ways.  If I take the other paths, I inevitably find myself backtracking and unlearning what I've been learned.  Whether I find myself drawn to professing the right beliefs to be right with God or to doing good deeds for God without coming to know God himself or to taking care of the church so it will take care of me, I find they leave me empty, since God will not fill such wine skins with his new wine.  Jesus's teaching and His Spirit can only reside in his apprentices, otherwise I find myself broken and worn out, unable to sustain the life he longs to fill me with.

Lord, re-new me today.  Yesterday's thoughts and feelings and desires will not carry me through today. Give me this day your daily bread of renewal and transformation so that my life might be a holding place for your Spirit of love, joy, and peace.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment